Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent). Special interest in canine and feline medicine and surgery.
9138059

Help my cat is addicted to tuna.Not human tuna but cat tuna.But

Customer Question

Help my cat is addicted to tuna.Not human tuna but cat tuna.But as only a complimentary not complete cat food vet says has to come off it.I have tried everything but it seems my cat would rather starve than eat anything else even other tuna flavoured foods!!!!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Lolly who seems to be addicted to cat tuna! Your Vet is right in that a lot of this tuna on it's own, is not the best long term. If you can find a complete cat food that is tuna 'flavoured' however - then this would be ok long term if it is marketed as a complete cat food.

It sounds like you have tried quite a number of different foods thus far, and it will likely be a matter of continuing to find the food that Lolly really loves. Food from Veterinary surgeries is probably the best bet and Royal Canin and Hill's food is particularly palatable. Opt for the 'fish' based foods they have on offer and continue to mix the tuna with these for a while. It will then be a matter of slowly decreasing the amount of tuna you mix with one of these diets over a 2 - 3 week period. The odd very small supplementary bit of tuna would be ok for Lolly, but he shouldn't be getting a lot of it on a long term basis.

If he is particularly fussy, you could try a dry food, mixed with Royal Canin recovery, or HIll's a/d and a very small amount of tuna, then slowly decreasing the amount of recovery or a/d and tuna slowly over the course of a couple of weeks. Again - this will take time, but this approach is the best way to get your boy off tuna long term.

It won't be an easy task, but the first step is to find a dry food (or wet food) that is a complete feline diet, that your boy will eat when it is mixed with some of his tuna. Then by slowly decreasing the amount of tuna he gets, hopefully he will be convinced to eat this other food long term!

I hope this helps and best of luck with Lolly. Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards