Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

my cat sometimes twitches and bolts from one space to another.

Customer Question

my cat sometimes twitches and bolts from one space to another. she is 9 and I have had her since a kitten(she was adopted from a terrible breeder with so many hyper kids). she has a sister and they seem to get on well as from same litter. I moved here two years ago and first noticed this behaviour but only rarely. I then decided to keep them in at night. it was an adjustment but they were contented and spoiled. recently decided to put them in a cat enclosure to safeguard them which they jump into from there own cat room where they sleep at night. I noticed yesterday she was twitching her back and ears and then licking pelvic area and twitching tail. I have ordered feliway. I have also seen vet and she said my cat is stressed. she told me to get royal caine CALM which I did.
its upsetting me as I have M.E. I dont feel she has full blown Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome as she only does it when there is a change to her situation. please help thanks
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

It sounds like Jera does hyperesthesia syndrome. That twitching of the back and then suddenly licking and then running around is very classic for that. It may be that stress plays a big part in the manifestation, however. We don't know a lot about this syndrome, so I think every cat can present a little differently.

Dr. Scarlett :

I think the Feliway is a good start. I find it to be very helpful in calming cats. I also have a cat on the gabapentin and he is doing very well.

Dr. Scarlett :

I would definitely talk to your vet about oral medication if the Feliway and food don't seem to help. Has your vet done any bloodwork to look for underlying diseases that might be contributing? I would definitely do that before starting any medication.