DR.J
DR.J, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

stray cat ive been feeding for a couple of years has been quite

Customer Question

stray cat ive been feeding for a couple of years has been quite sick lately. Weight loss bad eyes and diarrhea/incontinent anything i can do for him as i cannot transport to vet?
Category: Cat
Expert:  DR.J replied 4 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your problem

DR.J :

sorry to hear about you friend .

DR.J :

for how long has it been going on?

DR.J :

is he still eating at all ?

JACUSTOMER-upnph41p- :

he's an outside cat and never really looked great

JACUSTOMER-upnph41p- :

but this last episode maybe 2 or 3 weeks but he sounds in pain now

JACUSTOMER-upnph41p- :

he only manages to eat tiny amounts and doesn't really take much water either

DR.J :

indeed if he is 21 years as you suspect him , which is a very respectable age for a cat then there are many things which come into mind when thinking of the symptoms he has presented with.

JACUSTOMER-upnph41p- :

sorry i'm 21 :) the cat is about 5 i think

DR.J :

Hi loss of appetite and sever weight loss cold point out to a chronic disease , it could be viral , bacterial , cancer or metabolic (meaning his organs are not functioning properly )

DR.J :

Ha :) ok 5 then

DR.J :

this does change the picture slightly

DR.J :

The fact of the matter that something needs to be done about our little friend in order to help him and without him fully examined by your vet there is little at home that you could do but to tempt him with food and water . He might need a course of antibiotic to fight of an infection . he might need pain medication if he is painful . he might need a tooth extracted in case we are dealing with a dental disease .

DR.J :

It's hard to say , cause all we know right now is that he is in pain and we need to help him .

DR.J :

I know you mentioned that you can not transport him yourself , but could you ask a friend or a neighbor for help ? you'll be surprised how much people are willing to help when it comes to animals in pain

JACUSTOMER-upnph41p- :

he's semi-feral and don't know if i can transport him but basically what you're saying is take him to a vet. cheers

DR.J :

I'm sorry I cant help you anymore , but there will be no home remedies to help him get rid of his symptoms if he is in such a state and as well we might be dealing with something more sever which would require serious treatment or if not possible at times euthanasia as the we don't want him to suffer

JACUSTOMER-upnph41p- :

yeah i understand thanks, don't really know what other answer i thought i'd get from the web. have a good day

DR.J :

I'm sorry you are disappointed, at times symptoms do point towards a more specific conditions to which we can advise more clearly but the type of general symptoms with which your cat has presented with will be hard to diagnose over the web . This however is not our fault and does not represent a bad service on our end but an honest one . good day