Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hi, I am house sitting cats. One has come in, first I thought

Customer Question

Hi, I am house sitting cats. One has come in, first I thought he had eaten something bloody, and half was sticking out, or a bloodied tail end - but now I think it is his tounge and that has been cut/bitten/is flapping. His leg and part of his body looks like it is wet, I think he has been in some animals mouth. I will not be able to get him to the vet until at least Friday. Any suggestions, I am not very good with cuts/blood/injury things.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and welcome.

Sorry to hear about Baily's problem.

My name is Scott, I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

I know this may not be what you want to hear but if he has a lacerated tongue you have to get him to a vet ASAP. Some of these injuries requires stitching and if this is the case the sooner they are seen to the better. The tongue will heal much quicker if it is promptly seen to.

Of course other injuries are possible in cats such as broken jaws from road traffic accidents and other traumatic injuries.

I normally like to suggest home remedies to clients here but in your case my advice has to be that you get Baily to a vet as soon as you can even if this means using an emergency vet.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott