Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat had kittens 4 weeks ago they have started to wander

Customer Question

My cat had kittens 4 weeks ago they have started to wander about and she doesn't like it, this morning she'd dragged them into the bathroom and hidden them behind the u bend, if got them out but she keeps trying to put them back, they are walking and want to exploring she won't let them, can u advise?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with Olive and the kittens today.

First off, the behaviors of both parties (mum + kittens) are quite natural at this stage. Kittens this age do start to want to wander; and mums (especially first time ones who don't have experience in kitten care) may not be so keen to let them. If Olive doesn't want them exploring, then she will probably keep moving them back to where she thinks she can keep them safe. Unfortunately, it sounds like she has chosen a less the ideal safe place.

In this situation, you need to follow the lead of the mother cat. Even if the kittens are not risking chill exploring at this age, it will just continue to stress everyone if you try to force Olive to change her ways. Therefore, it would be ideal to perhaps move them to a cat/kitten-proofed room. This way they could explore in safety if she deems it safe enough and Olive wouldn't accidentally wedge them somewhere they shouldn't be. If she is still fussing over them in the safe room, then consider giving her access to a box/nest with sides high enough that she can get in but they cannot get out. She may then establish this as a nest and it will allay her stress over this. And given time, she will come around to them exploring and she will let them do so. But at the moment, we need to follow the mother cat's instincts to keep everyone safe at the moment.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember that if you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply so that we may continue our conversation. I will be happy to work with your further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied (with4-5 stars or a happy face) so that I may receive credit for my assistance. Thank you & have a great day. : )