Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

i have a 4yr old male cat, he is a indoor cat as l live in

Customer Question

i have a 4yr old male cat, he is a indoor cat as l live in a flat and are at work all day so he would not be able to get in or out,he is my only pet living with no stress or changes, he use to his tray all the time but now only wees in it and poo's on the floor and the odd time on my bed.He has 2 trays witch l keep clean and wash once a week with only water, this is driving me mad as l have to open my door very carefully so as not to spread it everywhere.He is quite a loving cat cat who liked to be sat on my knee and be stroked and brushed.I have tried different deterent sprays and different litter to no avail. Please help.
regards.Karen Aitken
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.
Hello Karen,
I am sorry to hear about your problems with Mr. Sox.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Is there any change in his stool? Softer or harder than it used to be? Different color?

Sometimes if it is painful or difficult to defecate, a cat will start using a surface that is smoother or softer than cat litter. If his stool is hard and dry, a stool softener may help, such as adding sweet potato or pumpkin to his cat food, or sprinkling 1/4 teaspoon of MiraLax ( a human stool softener available over the counter) on his food.

Sometimes a cat's anal glands ( which are inside the rectum) are painful or inflamed or infected, and the cat will avoid the litter box. Having the glands checked and emptied or treated may help.

There is an herbal additive to litter, called Cat Attract that can get a cat back to using the litter trays. Sometimes just adding catnip to the litter will help.

You are probably doing this already, but I would scoop the litter boxes twice daily to keep them really clean.

It is not very aborbant, and not helpful with odors, but sand (like is sold for children's play sand boxes) is often a cat's favorite thing to use for digging. If you put sand in one tray, and if he uses it, you can gradually add litter to the sand and try to get him back on litter.

There are products containing a feline pheromone ( one is called Feliway) that comes as a collar, diffusers that are plugged into a wall socket, or sprays, that can have a calming effect and get problem cats back to using the litter tray.

Those are my first suggestions and thoughts. Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Rebecca

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Rebecca, l will try the sand and if no good l will ask vet about his annal glands, l thought my vet might have mentioned this when l asked him if he could suggest anything, Regards Karen

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with or answer. I hope he starts behaving himself soon.

Kindly rate my answer, but only if all your questions have been answered.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Rebecca,

The sand has not worked, so if you would like a bag of sand its going cheap,lol. I suppose l will just have to put up with it, lm putting a sheet of strong plastic behind the door so l can push it away from the door as l go in.

Regards Karen.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the update, even though it is not good news.

Did you have his anal glands checked?

I would consider the Cat Attract next. It comes as a litter or as an additive to your litter.

Rebecca