Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

my cat is acting weird like I spooked him and also making an

Customer Question

my cat is acting weird like I spooked him and also making an ocassional weird cry cough..not like a hairball cough.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name is Dr. Jo and I will do my best to help you with your questions about Haggis. I'm sorry he isn't acting normally and has you worried. If you return online and wish to join the conversation please type in what you want to say and click REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

It can be really difficult to tell if a cat is spooked and alarmed or sick. Some cats are pretty aloof as it is, and sick cats tend to hide.

Dr. Jo :

Being spooked does not usually cause a cat to cough, however.

Dr. Jo :

You've listed some very real clinical signs here: hiding under the bed, eating less, coughing

Dr. Jo :

The safest plan is to take those symptoms seriously. After all, you're more likely to have success with treatment the sooner you begin.

Dr. Jo :

And if you wait for things to get worse, they could get a lot worse and treatment could be more difficult (and expensive).

Dr. Jo :

Perhaps this is simply Haggis responding to something in his environment he perceives as stressful, but the only way to know for sure is to have him evaluated by your veterinarian.

Dr. Jo :

By performing a thorough physical examination and (probably) some simple lab tests (like blood work and a urinalysis), your vet will be able to let you know if Haggis is indeed healthy or not.

Dr. Jo :

All too often I end up seeing a sick pet that's in pretty bad shape and didn't get treatment because the owner thought it was "...just the heat" or "...because something changed in the house", etc.

Dr. Jo :

I'd have him checked out to be on the safe side. If there is a problem, you'll have better luck treating it the sooner it's identified.

Dr. Jo :

If there isn't a problem, then you can relax and have the peace of mind that comes from knowing you're not overlooking or missing out on something you should be doing for him.

Dr. Jo :

I hope all of that makes sense.

Dr. Jo :

Again, I'm happy to keep discussing this with you until you're happy with the information I've provided. I want to be as helpful as possible.

Dr. Jo :

If you return online and have additional questions or need clarification, simply type in what you want to say and click REPLY. I'll be notified via email.

Dr. Jo :

Thank you for visiting our website.