Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery
20804272

my cat is passing green mucas motions

Customer Question

my cat is passing green mucas motions
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Lee :

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

Dr. Lee :

Can you please tell me what do you mean by green mucus "motions"? Do you mean he is vomiting?

Dr. Lee :

Where exactly is this green mucus coming from?

JACUSTOMER-j0bd66le- :

only by eating grass. i think the green could be cat nip , its the large amount of mucas that concerns me

Dr. Lee :

Are you saying he is vomiting?

JACUSTOMER-j0bd66le- :

i wouldnt say no more than usual

JACUSTOMER-j0bd66le- :

his motions are very watery and loose only from today

Dr. Lee :

I'm sorry, can you please tell me what do you mean by motions? Do you mean vomiting or do you mean diarrhea?

JACUSTOMER-j0bd66le- :

diarrhea

Dr. Lee :

Does he have any vomiting at all?

Dr. Lee :

Also, is he eating and drinking normally now?

JACUSTOMER-j0bd66le- :

no

JACUSTOMER-j0bd66le- :

he is off his food a little but thats normal due to weather

Dr. Lee :

Does he go outdoor?

JACUSTOMER-j0bd66le- :

yes , he is up set about it as he isa very clean cat and i left the shower door open and he has gone to the toilet in there which he never does

Dr. Lee :

Toilet as in urinating or defecating or both?

JACUSTOMER-j0bd66le- :

both

Dr. Lee :

Is the stool soft or firm?

Dr. Lee :

Or is it simply just diarrhea like you have said?

JACUSTOMER-j0bd66le- :

very very loose. plus mucas

Dr. Lee :

Also, have you noticed any redness or blood in the bowel movement?

JACUSTOMER-j0bd66le- :

no blood ,

Dr. Lee :

Ok. Thanks.

Dr. Lee :

With the green mucus in the diarrhea, the color itself is likely from the things that he ingested, which can be from grass as you have said.

Dr. Lee :

The key thing is the soft stool/diarrhea, which is a concern. Cats having diarrhea usually is due to one of the following: dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, intestinal disease, kidney disease, liver disease, or cancer/lymphoma.

Dr. Lee :

The best thing to do right now is to ask your vet to do an examination and also to check the feces for any parasites.

Dr. Lee :

As well, is to get anti-diarrhea medication to help in the interim.

Dr. Lee :

If everything is normal and negative, and medication alone does not help, then further tests are needed, such as blood test and ultrasound.

Dr. Lee :

If you cannot go to your vet right now, you can try to offer Oliver a bland diet such as tuna and rice for the time being and see if the soft stool and diarrhea will go away.

JACUSTOMER-j0bd66le- :

he may have eaten a frog, would that have any efect?

Dr. Lee :

Yes. Absolutely. Eating a frog will definitely cause diarrhea.

Dr. Lee :

One thing though, this can also lead to pancreatitis, and certain frogs have toxins as well.

Dr. Lee :

Given this new information, I would suggest to take Oliver to your vet immediately rather than trying the tuna and rice.

JACUSTOMER-j0bd66le- :

aaaarrr, :) ok will it be expensive?

Dr. Lee :

Well, examination alone is not too bad. However, if tests are needed, such as blood tests, then it can be costly, depending on what tests are needed.

Dr. Lee :

This is something you will have to ask your local vet on prices as different locale can be different.

Dr. Lee :

For example, the more rural the vet office is located, usually the less expensive it is.

Dr. Lee :

The closer it is to metropolitan, the more expensive it will be.

JACUSTOMER-j0bd66le- :

ok thanks for your help.......

Dr. Lee :

You're welcome.

Dr. Lee :

I hope Oliver will get better soon!

Dr. Lee :

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Lee :

An excellent rating will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JACUSTOMER-j0bd66le- :

me to lost without him :)

Dr. Lee :

Good luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hallo, Jean curson, Olli had a better night i havnt taken him to the local vets yet, he has eaten some chicken and the diarrhea seems to have calmed down a little but still a little greeny/yellow, his bottom is a little sore.I shall continue with the chicken untill it changes or what do you advise any differant.

appreciate your help as i am a pensioner....

Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jean,

The only thing you can continue to do is the chicken and rice. But if there isn't any improvement after 2 days, then Oliver will really need to get medication and have tests done by your local vet.

Hope this helps!
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jeannette,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Olli is much better, i went and bought a compound paste for him from the vets. and is nearly his old self......just giviing him small amounts of food, diarrehea has stopped and he is drinking water......many thanks for your help. JC

Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.
I'm glad to hear this. Hope everything will continue to be well!
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.
Hi ,

Let me know,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

olli has improved every day......one more day of medication.....and hopefully back to normal.....introducing back his usual cat food + chicken.....seems to enjoy his food more now.....JC

Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the update!