Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

5 year old neutered indoor male cat - over weight stopped

Customer Question

5 year old neutered indoor male cat - over weight
stopped eating - now at least 4 days - will drink
listless, not very steady when he does move, doesn't want to move
not urinating or pooing - at least 4 days
was vomiting, but not for couple of days, probably because not eating, although i have got a small amount of food into him a couple of times a day
gums dry and pale

is on steroid and antibiotic and appetite stimulant
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome.

Sorry to hear about Panther ..,

My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and I will try my best to answer to your question to your satisfaction. However to enable me to do so with accuracy I need a little more information, so before we start can you please answer the following ...

1. Has your vet run any diagnostic tests on him of any sort? Blood tests perhaps?

Then give me fifteen minutes or so to think things through, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, blood tests showed liver damage.

What i am looking for is a bit more information as to how long the medication takes to start working and how can u tell its working.

he has been on medication for 36 hours, including an appetite stimulant and laxulose but shows no signs of improving, he is still not eating, nor is he producing urine or poo, he just sits there uninterested in anything.

Hello again,

Sorry about the late reply, I am in a different time zone to you and have just come online first thing this morning.

1. Thanks for the further information, in a way I am not surprised to hear about the liver damage, that can make cats very lethargic and disinterested with life. If it is a simple infection { hepatitis } then the antibiotics may well help but there are other fairly common situations which can cause a rise in liver enzymes such as cancers of the liver or sclerosis of the liver.

2. " How long the medication takes to start working and how can u tell its working." : I would expect the antibiotics to kick in within three or four days and if steroids are going to help then they usually start working slightly more quickly.

Lactulose again will start to work in a couple of days and appetite stimulants can be very variable in the cat and sometimes not work at all.

3. As there may be something more going on here other than a simple infection all you can do is to have your vet run further diagnostics such as X-ray if Panther does not start to pick up over the next few days.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott