Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

my cat is normally a lap cat and enjoys curling up on the sofa

Customer Question

my cat is normally a lap cat and enjoys curling up on the sofa or bed. she is ll yrs old and for the last 2 weeks has not wanted to come indoors even for her food. if .i bring her in she just bolts to the back door. she will sit on my lap if I sit in the garden, but will not come in even at night. help!!!!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 4 years ago.
Hi there, and thank you for your question. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to assist you. I am sorry you had to wait so long for a response. I suspect it is because other veterinarians know that this does not sound like an easy question to answer. When an older animal starts to prefer being outdoors and away from their human companions, it can be a sign of a serious illness. Hiding and spending time away from humans is a common behavior among cats who are sick, especially when they're older. I do not think this is simply a behavior problem, I think this is a medical problem. The next time you can get your cat to come to you, I would put your cat in a cat carrier and head to your local vet for a physical exam and some bloodwork. That will be the first step towards finding out what is wrong. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.