Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat was given an injection for allergy to flea bites and

Customer Question

My cat was given an injection for allergy to flea bites and now she has fits. Could this be a reaction to the injection?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Poppy. The injection was most likely methylprednisolone - an antihistaminic corticosteroid. This class of drug shouldn't be related to the onset of fits unless Poppy happened to be severely diabetic and the drug raised her blood sugar even higher. Diabetics of such severity, however, are severely polydipsic (increased thirst) and polyphagic (increased hunger).

Instead, fits at Poppy's age are usually found secondary to intracranial (within the skull) disorders such as brain tumor. Poppy's vet needs to know what you're seeing. The vet will be likely to recommend a senior/geriatric diagnostic panel of blood/urine tests in order to rule out extra-cranial causes of fits - liver and kidney insufficiencies, e.g. If nothing untoward is found, by the process of elimination we assume Poppy's fits are due to a brain disorder and we attempt to control them by administrating anticonvulsive drugs such as the barbiturate phenobarbital.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.