DR.J
DR.J, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

my cat had a small lump the size of a pea on the back of her

Customer Question

my cat had a small lump the size of a pea on the back of her head, its seem to be growing and changing shape, she does not seemed distressed by it but it is growing as her fur is beginning part and is becoming just about visuable
Category: Cat
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your problem

DR.J :

Forhow long has it been like

DR.J :

Have you seen anything else that's not right about her or is she otherwise fine

JACUSTOMER-mi8px7pw- :

about three months

JACUSTOMER-mi8px7pw- :

She seems fine

DR.J :

Is there anything coming out of the lump , like and fluid, puss or oily material?

DR.J :

Is there any pain when when touching the lump?

JACUSTOMER-mi8px7pw- :

no

DR.J :

There are several conditions which can describe the symptoms which Misty is showing

DR.J :

1. It could be a trapped subecus gland. these a re hair gland which produce oil like material to oil the hair and at times they get trapped under the skin and create a lump

DR.J :

2. an abscess , form a cat fight for ex which has been growing , these ones are usually more painful

DR.J :

when touched

DR.J :

3. a foreign body , a thorn which could have gone under the skin and grated a small cyst

DR.J :

4. Cat are very sensitive when they are injected with medication and vaccination between the shoulder blades . this at times can develop to a type of cancer called Sarcoma which is considered very dangerous and should be removed as soon as possible.

DR.J :

I can really tell the location of the lump but all of the above are to be considered as a valid possibility .

DR.J :

What needs to be done is to have it examined by the vet , he can place a needle inside the lump and tell you it's content by looking under the microscope

DR.J :

There is no hurry though and I would not rush to see the OHH vet

DR.J :

as it would be dear and unnecessary.

DR.J :

Mean while , as long as she is fine , make sure not to touch it or aggravate it in any way.

DR.J :

if it does start to ooze out any material , make sure to take note if it and keep it clean by using diluted salt water

DR.J :

I hope this help.

DR.J :

If you have any other question on the matter I would be happy to help

DR.J :

As you seem to have left the conversation , I would be about to answer any other question on the matter if you have any . just write it down and I shall do my best to come back as quickly as possible.

DR.J :

DR.J :

Dr.J