Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

The right side of my cats face is swollen quite alarmingly,

The right side of my cats face is swollen quite alarmingly, im sure it wasn't this morning !!!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn Lucy has facial swelling. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she strictly indoors?
2- Is the swelling involving the right eye or under the eye?
3- Is she eating and drinking?
4- Can you open her mouth and make sure there is nothing under the tongue, teeth or gums?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Lucy is not an indoor cat she has access to outside via a cat flap.

The swelling is under the right eye not involving the eye at all. It goes down to her neck on that side only.

Yes she has been drinking and she ate a few cat biscuits about 20mins ago but then vomited them up back into the bowl, she usually does sometimes but with wet food not biscuits.

She not too happy with us opening her mouth, had a growl at me I can open it and it seems ok.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Trish, given the quick onset of the swelling it is fair to say that this is an inflammation secondary to trauma or an insect sting, less likely could be an infection. On history alone it will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause. She will need to be seen by your family veterinarian. In the meantime, start her on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 2-4mg every 12 hours orally. You can find Benadryl over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). Apply cold compresses on the swelling for 5 minutes every 4 hours. Follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter