How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PawsDoc Your Own Question
PawsDoc
PawsDoc, Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 388
Experience:  I am a veterinarian practicing in New York. I look forward to helping you answer your questions!
53734430
Type Your Cat Question Here...
PawsDoc is online now

My cats have been unusually sleepy for the past couple of days

Resolved Question:

My cats have been unusually sleepy for the past couple of days and are choosing to stay indoors when I would normally expect them to be outside.
One of them was sick yesterday, but they seem to be otherwise Ok and are eating tinned, but not dried, food.

I am a little concerned as we do have lilies in the garden and indeed in neighbours' gardens, where they are free to roam.

Is it likely that they could be suffering from lily poisoning or am I being alarmist?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PawsDoc replied 4 years ago.
Hello I'm PawsDoc I'd like to help!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. You are correct that if in fact any of the cats have ingested lilies these are toxic to cats. In fact, as little as two leaves can make your cat sick, and if left untreated, can become fatal in as little as three days.
Typical clinical signs we see with cats who have ingested lilies are:
Drooling
Vomiting (pieces of plant in the vomitus)
Loss of appetite
Increased urination, followed by lack of urination after 1 to 2 days
Dehydration
Since it sounds like you have noted lethargy and decrease in appetite these are suggestive but for sure not confirmatory that they ingested lilies.
The botXXXXX XXXXXne is if there is any suspicion of ingestion the sooner these guys get treatment, the better the chances are. And if you can, bring a piece of the lily plant to the hospital this will help the veterinarian know what species of lily it is.

Since we are unsure of ingestion the best idea is to see your vet for some blood work and a urinalysis asap t least for the sickest of the three.

I hope this answers your question, please ACCEPT below if you are satisfied or reply with questions.
Thanks,
PawsDoc
PawsDoc and 3 other Cat Specialists are ready to help you