Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

OUR CAT SUFFERS FROM A RENAL PROBLEM AND HAS BEEN ON FORTEKOR

Customer Question

OUR CAT SUFFERS FROM A RENAL PROBLEM AND HAS BEEN ON FORTEKOR 2.5mg FOR SEVERAL MONTHS NOW. SHE IS SHOWING ALL THE SYMPTONS, LOSE OF WEIGHT, VERY THIRSTY, ON AND OFF HER FOOD ETC. IN THE EARLY HOURS OF SATUFDAY MORNING SHE WENT OUT AS USUAL BUT WAS NOT THERE IN THE MORNING AND WE HAVE NOT SEEN HER SINCE. WE HAVE SEARCHED EVERYWHERE, ALERTED NEIGHBOURS ETC. ON THE FRIDAY SHE SEEMED TO BE EATING A DRINKING OKAY AND USED HER INDOOR LITTER BOX SEVERAL TIMES AS GOING OUTSIDE. THERE IS ALWAYS THE POSSIBILITY THAT SHE HAS BEEN HIT BY A CAR, BUT WOULD A CAT GO OFF ON ITS OWN IF IT WAS REALLY POORLY AND CURL UP AND DIE SOMEWHERE? SHE IS A VERY MUCH LOVED AND HAPPY CAT.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. I'm very sorry to hear about Lulu's going missing. So she's been missing now for about a day and a half? Have you gone to the local shelter and contacted the local veterinary clinics about her being gone?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I HAVE REPORTED HER MICROCHIP NUMBER AND PUT IT ON LOCAL RADIO AND SPOKEN TO MY VET. CAN YOU TELL ME IF LULU COULD POSSIBLY HAVE GONE OFF TO DIE, BEEN TAKEN ILL WHILST OUT ON HER PROWL?

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
That is good that you've reported the microchip number and done the contact with your vet and on the local radio station. One other media that I've seen a lot of owners using lately is their facebook accounts. I don't know if you have this at this time, but I've seen similar situations where owners use that media to post pictures and explain what is going on too.

As far as her going off to pass away, while this does happen in very few cases, it doesn't happen that often. With her eating well the day before, it wouldn't seem that she was in that progressed of a renal situation to be that critical. With the weight loss and the drinking a lot, she was definitely showing signs of her kidney situation, but in the cases I see it takes quite a bit of time to deteriorate. Usually these cats just get less and less active in the house that they live in.

At this time, my hopes are there that she's somewhere and taking her time to get back to her home Sandra. Keep trying to find her and keep up hope that she'll be back. I wouldn't feel that she went off to pass away.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sandra,

I'm checking back to see if Lulu has come back. I'm hoping for the best for her.