DR.J
DR.J, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

Our 16 year old cat is not eating much of his his cat food,

Customer Question

Our 16 year old cat is not eating much of his his cat food, but will eat chicken and ham. He seems to be very thirsty, but will only drink running water. (We bought him a cat fountain, but he doesn't like that!) His tummy looks bloated and he is quite listless. (He also likes cheese, but I know dairy products are not good for him. As he is quite old, should we give him what he wants to eat?)
Category: Cat
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your problem

DR.J :

The big question is what is going on with Norman that is causing him to drink a lot and eat un traditional food

DR.J :

If considering Normans age , there are several conditions which come int mind .

DR.J :

1. is he diabetic

DR.J :

2. does he suffer from renal (kidney) disease

DR.J :

3. Is he suffering for an thyroid disease (being over active) - though no common in cats of his age

DR.J :

4. maybe his adrenal glands are over active due to a tumor - resulting in the presenting symptoms

DR.J :

and the list goes on and on

DR.J :

The bigger question is if you wish to investigate it .

DR.J :

I personally think that its worth while investigating by mild means - meaning performing a one off blood test and urine test could give your vet much information about Norman's condition and even come up with a diagnosis that might be treated .

DR.J :

To that aim you should make an appointment with you vet to be seen early next week . But for now you should make sure Norman is drinking all he wants (his body is demanding it ) , supply him with boiled chicken as food and try and stay clear of anything else, like ham , cheese and such salty processed foods

DR.J :

You can give him some spring water tuna as well.

DR.J :

But again , most importantly , WATER AS MUCH AS HE WANTS :)

DR.J :

I hope I have helped you.

DR.J :

If you wish to discus the matter further , just let me know .

DR.J :

all the best

DR.J :

Dr.J