Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

OK! How often can I give Metacam to my aging dog? He has

Customer Question

OK! How often can I give Metacam to my aging dog? He has no hip displacia but just some creaking bones.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Creaky dogs can receive Metacam daily at a dose of 0.2mg/kg as an initial loading dose and then 0.1mg/kg daily thereafter. You should see a nice synergistic effect if you administer fish oil concomitantly. The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil are antiinflammatory. I dose the fish oil at 20mg/lb daily of the EPA in the fish oil. You should be able to find the amount of EPA on the label of your fish oil product.

Glucosamine/chondroiton sulfate neutraceuticals may be of value as well but recent studies in people haven't been encouraging for their use. For badly affected dogs we might add the well-tolerated narcotic tramadol to the therapy mentioned above. Weight reduction is always helpful and we're even offering stem cell therapy on these patients nowadays.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Michael. Much appreciated.

It's my pleasure.

You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.