Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

I HAVE stray cat , who apparently belongs to a neighbour

Customer Question

I HAVE 'stray' cat , who apparently belongs to a neighbour (about 14 years old) who appears to have an ear problem - lots of brown wax and the ear is running and is obviously giving him discomfort. Anything I can do as a pure layperson as the owners to do not seem to be bothered, although I have pointed this out to them./Many thanks
Kathy Peck
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 4 years ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to assist you. Without an exam, you can't tell if the ear drum is ruptured, so there aren't many over the counter treatments that would be safe. You can, however, use this ear cleaner, which is safe for possibly ruptured ear drums:

http://www.pethealthmarket.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=14065&Click=1849&utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=shoppingengine&gclid=CMnq1-KWm7kCFe4-MgodfH4AJw

You can use it once daily on the ears and it will dissolve and break down the wax and help get the infection out of the ear. Some people recommend betadine mixed 1/3 betadine and 2/3 water to flush into the ears to clear the infection, but that can be dangerous if the ear drum is ruptured, so I would not recommend that. Try the Cerumene cleaner and see if that helps. Hope this helps! Best of luck.