Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

my cat has a verry bad cut at his ear but wont let me look

Customer Question

my cat has a verry bad cut at his ear but wont let me look at it but there is a realy bad smell coming from it he wont go out of the house and is lying under my bath all the time
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 years ago.

Hello Teresa, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern with Neco; he sounds like he's quite uncomfortable.

The cut on his ear sounds infected if you're detecting a very strong odor. He's probably running a fever as well since he's acting lethargic.

There are going to be limited options for you if he's a bit of a feisty cat but the following are my suggestions:

1. Get a friend, neighbor or family member to help you. See if you can get him to eat 1/2 of a 25 mg Benadryl tablet in some wet food. Benadryl can often have the side effect of making cats sedated so it might take the edge off of his responses. Give it about one hour to take effect.
2. Then use a towel to wrap him up (similar to a swaddled baby) with only his head sticking out of the towel. Just go real slow with him so he doesn't become overly agitated.
3. Then use some warm water or dilute betadine/iodine to gently clean the ear.
4. Once it drys, then apply a small amount of over the counter antibiotic ointment such as you would use on a wound for yourself.

Unfortunately, most of these cats will need oral antibiotics if the infection is bad enough. And sometimes, they're so painful that they need to be sedated at the vet's office to clean and flush the wound.

But if you think you'd like to try and treat him at home for a few days, then you'll need to try and clean the wound and apply the ointment at least once a day although two times a day would be preferable.

I realize that this may be really hard to do if he fights you but the Benadryl may help slow him down.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck with this difficult situation. Deb