Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

my cat has hypertension and hyperaldosterone he is 15 years

Customer Question

my cat has hypertension and hyperaldosterone he is 15 years old only a bit of sight left from the high blood pressure don't think the spironolactone ia agreeing with him before getting him on proper bp meds and the spironolactone in recent months he had an emergency steroid injection back in feb when he appeared to have suddenly gone blind at weekend the drug brought the inflammation and bleeding in his eye down and he regained reasonable vision within hours he is blind in left eye retina detached but some vision in right which has been deteriorating gradually even on general bp pill benefortin plus 1/8 amlodipine and the spironolactone why can he not have another steroid injection if it was helpful previously ? apart fom the above he is pretty fit cat young for his age and all other organs healthy
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear about Newt having this uncommon and difficult disease.

Rebecca :

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

Many cats with condition have low potassium. Is he taking potassium supplements? Is his potassium normal?

Rebecca :

There is a chance that giving him steroids will worsen the hyperaldosteronism symptoms and blood pressure.

Rebecca :

If I were going to try giving steroids to a cat with this condition, I would use a short acting form of steroids, like dexamethasone sodium phosphate. That way, you would get the anti inflammatory benefits, but the drug should be out of his system in 24 hours. There are some forms of steroids that last for days, even weeks, that should definitely be avoided.

Rebecca :

I am not seeing responses from you. I hope you can see what I am writing.

Rebecca :

I will try to connect with you another way, if I do not hear from you soon.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.
I hope you can see what I am writing now.

Please let me know what else I can help with, research, or answer for you.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.
Hello Karen,
How is Newt doing?

Rebecca