Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

What are the side effects of cats taking steroids we are concerned

Customer Question

What are the side effects of cats taking steroids we are concerned that he is very lathargic
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Sully.
Typical steroid side effects can include:
- increased appetite
- increased thirst with increased urination
- gain in body weight
- faster breathing (not difficult breathing) but faster
- sometimes, lethargy could be observed
- vomiting or diarrhea

The other tablets for breathing also could be impacting the lethargy as well.

If the original symptoms of asthma have subsided, I would absolutely ask your vet about beginning to lower the dose of drugs. Do not stop! But, I am not permitted, by law, to change your directions. You need your primary vet to do that.

Also!
With asthma, many vets are now utilizing inhalers, just like people, to treat asthma. Great option, because the steroid is delivered directly to the lungs and has a lower effect on the entire body.

Inhalers for cats are given utilizing chambers called Aerokats to make it easier. Which, I believe, you can even find over the internet.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy