Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of companion animal experience
31531426

Hi, this year my cat had heats in early spring, although it

Customer Question

Hi, this year my cat had heats in early spring, although it seemed less than usually. Since then, nothing. Is this normal? (Indoor cat, flat with plenty of natural light-half of the rooms are exposed east and half of them west). Please let me know, I am worried.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Steve :

Hi, I'm Dr Steve. How old is your cat? How many heats have she had so far?

JACUSTOMER-ecsphi09- :

She was born in 2008, we never counted her heats but she usually had several end of winter/spring time, some during summer and if i remember correctly some at fall as well. Sorry i am not more precise.

Dr. Steve :

Cats can be very variable in the duration and interval between heats . Some cats will have heat cycles every month or so and some may go several months between cycles. Unfortunately some cats can have cystic ovaries and they may not come into heat for a long period of time. If you are not planning on her having a litter of kittens, the best and safest thing to do is to have her spayed. THis will remove any "abnormal" cystic ovaries and your vet will be able to tell during the surgery if there was anything that was not normal

Dr. Steve :

Are you considering having her spayed ?

JACUSTOMER-ecsphi09- :

She is an indoor cat, we thought it was better not to.

JACUSTOMER-ecsphi09- :

Should I just go to the vet and ask my question, then?

Dr. Steve :

WIth an indoor cat there isn't the necessity to have her spayed, but when her heat cycles begin to be unusual like her are, then there may be a problem. Originally I said cats can be variable, but with your additional information that she at one time had regular heat cycles and now she is not, the possibility of her having some ovary problems is more likely. Your vet, I imagine will say the sam ething as this is the "standard " way of handling this type of problem.

Dr. Steve :

If you aren't comfortable with the idea if having her spayed, getting a second opinion from your vet is a good idea. It is always best to be completely comfortable with any decisions, especially surgeries, before you proceed.

JACUSTOMER-ecsphi09- :

Is there a way to be sure she has problems without surgery?

JACUSTOMER-ecsphi09- :

Can something cause this ovary problem?

Dr. Steve :

There are blood tests that can be run to measure the amount of estrogen and progesterone in her body, but the results just tell whether she is in heat ( high estrogen , low progesterone) or not in heat ( low estrogen, high progesterone), and you already know that she has not been in heat. Another option would be to have an abdominal ultrasound done to see what her ovaries look like and see if there are any cysts. THis procedure is less invasive than surgery and a safer alternative to determine if she has any probolems

Dr. Steve :

When cysts develop on an ovary it isn't necessarily caused by anything specifically, the ovary just becomes "stuck" in that part of the reproductive cycle. Some cats can suddenly come into heat much more frequently and other cats will stay out of heat for long periods of time. It depends on which part of the cycle the ovary is in when the cyst forms.

JACUSTOMER-ecsphi09- :

She eats only a special vet supplied food because she is greedy and we try hard to keep her weight down. Do you think it is related?

Dr. Steve :

It usually isn't weight related, I have seen cysts in cats of all sizes and ages.

JACUSTOMER-ecsphi09- :

What you describe here makes me think of PCOS in women! Her check-up is due soon, so probably I should ask the vet if he could check on the ovaries.

Dr. Steve :

That is a good idea, this isn't any sort of an emergency so it gives you time to think about how you want to handle the problem and can easily be discussed at the next regular visit. I hope this has given you some ideas of what could be going on. I will check throughout the weekend to see if you have more questions. Thanks for using just answers and good luck. Have anice weekend,

JACUSTOMER-ecsphi09- :

Dr. Steve :

You are welcome. Good luck

Dr. Steve :

Can I ask why you rated me poor service. If there is something else I can do to help answer your question,please let me know. I don't like to have a customer who is not satisfied with my information. Thanks again