Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

HiAny idea what to do with a 8 year old neutred tom that

Customer Question

Hi Any idea what to do with a 8 year old neutred tom that has become very withdrawn since we took in a small young cat The 8 year old has started spraying everywhere and is not his normal self. The small cat hisses at him at all times. This has been going on for two m onths. I have tried to rehome the small cat but no success as all homes in the area are full.

The small cat is a neutered female

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and welcome.

Sorry you have a bit of a wait ...

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

1. One of the best things you can do as far as anxiety about another cat in the house is concerned is a product called Feliway, you can pick this up from your vet. I have known this work very well in situations like yours, it acts to calm the cats down, here is a link so you can read more about this product. LINK

2. As far as spraying in the house goes there are also a few things you can try ...

A. When you clean up after where he has been use one of the odour eliminator type solutions you can get from the vet or pet store. These work as they have a biological action like a washing machine soap powder and digest organic matter. In fact a dilute solution of such a soap powder is a good thing to use as well. If you just use normal soap and water it will smell fine to you but to the cat it will still smell it afterwards, and if the place smells like a public toilet to a cat he may use it as such! Make sure you leave the cleaning agent to soak for a while.

B. Try moving the cat litterbox, that's often a good thing to do. Best advice is to keep the litter tray well away from food or water bowls because that could be reason he does not go. Sometimes providing another litter tray elsewhere in the house is a good idea as well.

C. Change your cat litter to another brand which is very different in colour and texture from the brand you are using now. Also consider using earth from the garden instead of cat litter, it is not quite so absorbent as cat litter in terms of smells etc. but it is much more natural for the cat and might bring him back into his litter tray.

D. Some cats respond to low level tranquilisers where territorial anxiety concerning other cats is a factor but this is a last resort, this often works well in cases like yours though.

I hope I have given you a few ideas and covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott