Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 19 year old cat seems to be having trouble jumping on the

Customer Question

My 19 year old cat seems to be having trouble jumping on the settee. also she has a very uneven gait what can be wrong? I am afraid to take her to the vet in case he says that I have to have her put down.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn Tabitha is not feeling well. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Did these symptoms come on quickly or has she been having problems with her limbs?
3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1 three days
2 yes no other problems

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
King, the symptoms that Tabitha is showing could be related to neuromuscular problems like arthritis which is very common in older cats, this can very easily be treated with anti inflammatory medications. Unfortunately, these medications are only available through a veterinarian. In addition, it is important to rule out systemic diseases like kidney disease which can also cause weakness and have similar symptoms.
I really do understand your concern about the veterinarian recommending putting her down if they find something horribly wrong. But, the only way to know exactly what is the underlying problem is by a hands on examination and some testing. Most of the conditions that would cause the symptoms that Tabitha is showing are treatable. Highly recommend a hands on examination, if it is related to arthritis they will start her on medication and she will feel much better. Treatment for Tabitha will be based on exam findings and testing.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter