Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I am considering purchasing 2 gccf registered devon rex cats

Customer Question

I am considering purchasing 2 gccf registered devon rex cats as family pets. My daughter has suffered from asthma in the past but does seem to be outgrowing the problem. Are devon rex cats suitable and what are the common medical problems associated with this breed?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Helen, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question about the two kittens your considering hasn't been answered. I'm sorry that you've had to wait for a response but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

Unfortuntely, all evidence to the contrary, there really aren't any "true" hypoallegenic breeds of cats.
We know that those humans allergic to cats are typically responding to a protein known as Fel d 1 secreted by sebaceous glands and Fel d 4 which is present in cat's saliva. (LINK) and LINK.

While certain breeds such as the hairless ones might be less likely to cause an allergic response in a human, the potential is present in each and every one of them to trigger reactions to susceptible individuals.

The best way to know if your daughter will adversely react to this breed is to expose her to one prior to purchase.

As to medical problems associated with the breed:
1. Hereditary Myopathy (similar to a muscular dystrophy is a human) which is a congenital problem affecting this breed.

Characteristic clinical signs include ventroflexion of the head and neck, protrusion of the scapulae, and esophageal weakness

2. Vitamin K responsive coagulopathy which is often referred to as Pseudo Hemophilia.

3. Hypertrophic Cardio Myopathy is not specific to this breed but is often over-represented in pure-bred cats.

4. Hip dysplasia is also more commonly seen in pure bred cats, although the underlying cause is poorly understood.

I hope this helps; again my apologies for the delayed response. Deb