Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

hi i have 2 cats (sisters) one stopped eating on tuesday then

Customer Question

hi i have 2 cats (sisters) one stopped eating on tuesday then on thursday the other one stopped eating i took them to the vets and they looked them over and found them looking very healthy - no temperature no swellings no any other symptoms and said they will not give anti biotics as they couldnt find anything wrong yet and to wait a few more days- its now saturday and both cats are not eating or drinking at all - although we are feeding them water through an oral syringe- now we are getting v worried as they shy away from any contact with food or drink and how strange that both have got it - have they poisoned themselves is this symptomatic of that - could we have something in our garden they have eaten i see sweet pea is poisonous after checking online and we had some until we realised this week - do these symptoms fit with poisoning one of out cats hasnt eaten for 4 days the other for 2 days how long can they go with out eating we are v worried - both cats have not got up again this morning they just seem to want to sleep ty if you can give me any advice
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that Hermoine and Harry are not feeling well/...I know this is very scary for you and them...

I would strongly recommend that you take both cats back to your vet for blood work to determine what is causing this. We always worry about Feline Leukemia and FIV. This could also be an infection that would show up on the lab work. This wanting to sleep all the time is typical for cats with an infection. These signs are not typical for any poisoning they might get into from your garden.

For now, give each cat Pedialyte, 2-3 ounces every 4 hrs to keep them hydrated. Also, give each cat Nutrical, a dose every 4 hrs. This is a high calorie supplement available at the pet store that acts as an appetite stimulant and gives them the nutrients that they require to get over this. Right now, supportive care is essentail until your vet can run tests.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i took them back for blood tests all negative - they had a steroid injection and after 6 days not drinking or eating the first one ill started eating and a day later the other one started to eat again - with no clue as to what was wrong it is still a mystery - ty for replying

I am so glad., Nick that Hermoine and Harry are doing well...the fact that they responded to te steroids tells us that there was some form of inflammation, possibly in their digestive tract that caused this condition...

I know you are relieved, Nick...and so am I!!