Shantal-Mod
Shantal-Mod,
73554018

My cat just ate a pin

Customer Question

My cat just ate a pin
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

Eating a pin, can have some serious consequences, unfortunately.

Dr. Drew :

there are real risks of damage to the intestinal tract, including puncture, which can lead to a life threatening case of Peritonitis.

Dr. Drew :

It is not an option to induce vomiting in such a case, since that may increase the risk of puncture,

Dr. Drew :

so the options typically are to wait-and-see,

Dr. Drew :

or to seek veterinary care right away, so that an endoscope can be used to (hopefully) retrieve the pin safely from the stomach.

Dr. Drew :

if you choose to not seek veterinary care, then the signs you must watch for include loss of appetite, vomiting, abdominal pain, or lethargy.

Dr. Drew :

any of these, can be a serious sign, and will indicate that immediate action is necessary.

JACUSTOMER-d40s308r- :

do you recommend salt water to make him vomit?

Dr. Drew :

absolutely not.

Dr. Drew :

as I explained above, inducing vomiting is not an option in this case.

Dr. Drew :

and salt water is never a safe means of inducing vomiting anyway.

JACUSTOMER-d40s308r- :

is there a chance it will come out naturally?

Dr. Drew :

there's a chance, yes... but it's difficult to predict just how likely that might be.

Dr. Drew :

some veterinarians suggest feeding bulky foods to help shield the intestinal lining from being punctured,

Dr. Drew :

there's no proof that this works, but it is something to try.

Dr. Drew :

brown rice, canned pumpkin, are commonly recommended.

JACUSTOMER-d40s308r- :

if he eats bulky foods he tends to get diarrhoea, im guessing thats not good in this case?

Dr. Drew :

probably not, diarrhea would increase the amount of contractions going on in the intestine, so I'd want to avoid that if possible.

JACUSTOMER-d40s308r- :

best to sit and wait then?

Dr. Drew :

well, unless you want to have it retrieved endoscopically, which might cost several hundred dollars or more -- that's a decision only you can make.

JACUSTOMER-d40s308r- :

ok, thanks

Dr. Drew :

you are very welcome. I hope everything goes well :)

JACUSTOMER-d40s308r- :

thank you

Dr. Drew :

Poor service?

Dr. Drew :

Why did you rate my service as "poor"?

JACUSTOMER-d40s308r- :

yes, we arent really any wiser what to do

Dr. Drew :

I explained the risks, gave you options, and explained what to watch for...

JACUSTOMER-d40s308r- :

i could of got that from Yahoo answers

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately It seems like you are unhappy with the answer. Please remember the Professional is trying to give you the best possible answer for your question. We like to encourage customers to respond to the Professional and tell them why the answer was not satisfactory and hopefully the Professional will be able to explain further.

Remember there are no additional charges for follow-up questions.

Please let me know if you still require assistance.