Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cat is 15 and over the past couple of days she has done

Customer Question

My cat is 15 and over the past couple of days she has done her business on the floor instead of her litter tray. She was also miaowing for a bit and running around going a bit crazy. Her toilet was a bit runny and gooey?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome, my name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Can you tell me, is she showing any other symptoms of any sort other than the diarrhoea?

JACUSTOMER-mqqq1852- :

No

Scott Nimmo :

Ok , that's encouraging, lets work through it. Of course the not using the litter tray is more than likely related to the diarrhoea so lets me suggest some common sense remedies for that and we can take it from there .... hold on and I will type it up

Scott Nimmo :

Assuming Gabey is still otherwise fairly bright and not showing any other symptoms then you might want to try and control the situation with diet alone before you try anything else. This is logical and often works, the thinking here is to give her intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it gradually back to function. I have often advised my clients at my clinic to do the following :

Scott Nimmo :

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

JACUSTOMER-mqqq1852- :

ok thank you

Scott Nimmo :

Hold on here is some more ideas ...

Scott Nimmo :

Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your cat's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your cat's intestinal tract and restore the balance.You do not need to give much, perhaps two teaspoons twice a day ...

Scott Nimmo :

There are other reason for cats not using their litter trays but if you tackle any obvious symptoms first then that has to be sensible.

Scott Nimmo :

Of course if you cannot sort things out via common sense means then you may want to get your vet involved as prescription drugs such as antibiotics may be required.

Hello again Emma,

I am pleased to carry on our conversation this way, please read through what I have written so far and let me know what you think.

Regards,

Scott