Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

I am looking after a cat for my friend for 3 weeks. He is a

Customer Question

I am looking after a cat for my friend for 3 weeks. He is a black & white neutered boy and very close to my friend and has never been away from home home,he was a stray and is about 5 yrs old. In the first 3 days he was here he was fine but then started sneezing very frequently, he is eating well but not keen to play and isvery quiet. is he missing his "mum", or am I fussing. Feel concerned as am not at all sure what innoculations ( if any) he has had. Please can you advise me ?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

The stress of a new environment & new person + sneezing makes me think he has a herpes virus.

Dr. Scarlett :

Herpes, like the cold sore herpes in people, "comes out" during stressful times in the cat's life. Instead of causing a cold sore, it causes upper respiratory signs in cat--sneezing (clear discharge), watery eyes, maybe some congestion.

Dr. Scarlett :

You can safely give him some Lysine; even if it isn't herpes, it won't hurt him. It comes OTC as a 500 mg tablet (at least here in the US). Crush 1/2 of the tablet in some canned food twice a day until your friend returns.

JACUSTOMER-uforpzw6- :

thank you very much

Dr. Scarlett :

Hope that takes care of Felix's problem! Should he stop eating, develop a yellow or green discharge from his nose, or become more lethargic, do take him to your friend's vet for a check up.

JACUSTOMER-uforpzw6- :

yes I will dothat.He has just jumped up on the key board purring VERY loudly.Perhaps his way of saying thankyou !!!!!!1

Dr. Scarlett :

:) My pleasure! Have a good night!