Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 1 year old cat is sometimes keeping his eye closed

Customer Question

My 1 year old cat is sometimes keeping his eye closed or sometimes half closed. I was wondering if there was something I could by to treat him. I can afford the vet but I am struggling to find the time to take my cat during 9 to 5 hours. I do not have a weekday off until next Friday. Is there something I can do or buy for him just now?? It is only the one eye and there is a little discharge from the eye as I have bathed it.

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I understand your logistical contraints. I'm hopeful that you can find a vet open on a Saturday. We mustn't be too cavalier about eye disorders. Milo's blepherospasm (squinting) suggests a painful eye but doesn't localize the source of the pain. In most cases we'll find a corneal abrasion or ulcer obtained in a cat fight or perhaps self traumatized while grooming. With time and an ophthalmic antiobiotic prescribed in order to prevent secondary infection in the damaged cornea, his eye should heal within a few days.

However, disorders within the globe of the eye are relatively common as well. Uveitis (inflammation of the iris and its attachments), for example, is a relatively common finding in cats and rather than antibiotics, potent corticosteroids are administered in an attempt to keep inflammation at bay.

Keeping the eye clean with saline is prudent, but presumptively medicating isn't. Eyes need to be seen promptly because they can "go south" in a hurry when not attended to properly. Other than artificial tears, antihistamines and decongestants - none of which would be appropriate for Milo - there's nothing available for you to buy over the counter of value. We have an over the counter antibiotic ophthalmic called Terramycin in the United States. This is an oxytetracycline/polymyxin-B antibiotic ophthalmic that wouldn't be harmful for Milo when a 1/4" ribbon of ointment is instilled in the affected eye three times daily but not necessarily helpful. I don't know if this is available in the UK. It's currently manufacturer backordered in the United States.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.