Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

female cat bleeding from trying to pooh

Customer Question

female cat bleeding from rectum trying to pooh
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. I'm sorry to hear that Smudge is straining to defecate.

Dr. Barbara :

When our kitties are straining like this two different things could be going on. . .they are constipated as you have mentioned, or they could have colitis (inflammation of the colon) and be straining because they are inflamed in the colon. Does Smudge have a history of constipation?

JACUSTOMER-bkoqhxjn- :

This has not happened before; her anus shows no signs of any problem. What is the best means of curing constipation please?

JACUSTOMER-bkoqhxjn- :

Sorry but sitting by a computer in the small hours waiting for an answer from Peter with no ETA for a reply was not an option

Dr. Barbara :

I'm sorry that you consider this bad service as I am trying to determine what is the actual problem for Smudge. If this is truly constipation, you can try adding about 5 ml of metamucil to her food. This may or may not work, since by the time cats can produce nothing they will need to have an enema given to them by your veterinarian, followed by treating them with lactulose and a high fiber diet.

Dr. Barbara :

If she has colitis, which does not involve her anus but her colon, then feeding her 5 ml of canned pumpkin twice daily may help her. She may eat this by itself or you could add it to her food.

Dr. Barbara :

In either case, Smudge may need help from your vet there. Honestly, if Smudge were my cat, then I'd hope for colitis as this is less complicated usually and a whole lot easier to treat and prevent further episodes.

Dr. Barbara :

I am sorry that you had to wait for your answer. Our experts are online at various time, and when you first wrote in at 3;

Dr. Barbara :

oooooops. . .3:07 my time (PDT) on 11/2/13, I found your question at 4:05 PM, 1 hour later and answered you immediately. However, I heard nothing from you until 11:41 PM (4 1/2 hours later), and by that time I was asleep! I am online again immediately this AM. I understand you are frustrated. . .but I am too. I waited several hours yesterday afternoon and evening to chat with you.

Dr. Barbara :

I think that you are 8 hours ahead of me, and it is about 7:30 AM here. How is Smudge today? I sure hope to hear back from you!

Dr. Barbara :

Dr. Barbara

JACUSTOMER-bkoqhxjn- :

I guess your system was not made clear. I only needed emergency help because it was our night-time. When I posted the message about 11pm our time it said it was being considered by a Dr? Peter but there was no response for more than half hour thereafter. In that time I bathed Smudge's backside which seemed to help and we went to bed. I found your reply in the morning but the time difference meant that you were then offline. I took her to our emergency vet who diagnosed cistitis and prescribed antibiotics. She seems much happier now. Thanks for your help,

Dr. Barbara :

Thank you so much for responding and letting me know the situation. Very kind! Usually JustAnswer works well. . .usually. I am so sorry that you had a bad experience with us.

Dr. Barbara :

I am very happy that Smudge is feeling so much better. . .great news for my Sunday morning.

Dr. Barbara :

I ask one thing of you. . .please? A "bad service" rating does affect me. If you are able to not pay without rating me, I'd really appreciate that. I'll also contact the site moderator with this request.

Dr. Barbara :

Again, thank you so much for updating me! I hope Smudge continues to do well. If you need us again, we will do our best to be timely, thorough, and helpful.

Dr. Barbara :

Dr. Barbara :

Dr. Barbara