Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal General Practitioner and Practice owner. 8+ years of practice
21393945

cat has rash under his fur his fur is good condition and he

Customer Question

cat has rash under his fur his fur is good condition and he is heathy
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doctor Jeff replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. In the majority of cases, these rashes stem from some form of an allergy. Allergies stem from a hypersensitivity to a bunch of possible things like hay, grass, pollen, dust mites, flea bites, food protein, etc. It may be worth trying Benedryl (diphenhydramine) at a dose of 1 mg/lb (0.5 mg/kg) twice daily. Benedryl should be available in most human pharmacies and comes in a 25 mg tablet or a liquid solution (12.5 mg/ 5 mL). So, most adult cats can get a 1/2 tablet of 5 mL. In the case of mild allergies (and a allergy-like condition called feline eosinophilic granulomatous complex), this could be helpful. If it is not helping in the next few days, then it may be worth a vet visit. Your vet will also be able to rule out other potential issues like external parasites, ringworm (not likely), infection, etc. Your vet can also be more aggressive with treatment that could include antibiotics, steroids, sprays, etc.
I hope this helps and gives you direction.
Dr. Jeff