Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my cat has a bad eye , she keeps it half closed and there is

Customer Question

my cat has a bad eye , she keeps it half closed and there is disscharge in the bottom corner of her eye and the top of her eye lid has a slight crust on it , think she was scratched in a fight ,bit there is no obvious damage to her eyeball .
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Fluff. Her blepherospasm (squinting) indicates the pain associated with a corneal abrasion or ulcer as well as possible conjunctival trauma secondary to a cat fight as you suspected. Corneal trauma, in particular, may not be visible with the naked eye and require my staining the cornea with fluoroscein to detect. Abscessation under that crust may exist and need to be surgically addressed. Infection of the lid(s) can result in blepherospasm as well.

I applaud your taking on this rescue and need to tell you that eyes such as this need to be attended to promptly. I'm hopeful you can take advantage of a vet that the rescue organization suggests and will give you consideration as a kind rescuer.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

if i pull back the uper eyelid i can see that its red an sore looking

Thank you. You're correct, then, that Fluff has suffered trauma to that area. Blunt trauma is likely to heal in time; however, if infection is present and/or corneal trauma exists, it's essential to initiate a topical ophthalmic antibiotic as soon as possible. Infection will prevent normal healing of the cornea and then sight is risked.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.