Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Hi there Ive just discovered a red crusty scab behind my cats

Hi there I've just discovered a red crusty scab behind my cats ear on her neck and I'm not sure what it is. There's only one and it doesn't seem to hurt. Any ideas?
Bernice
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Bernice, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Peppa.
I do have a few questions to ask first, if you don't mind:

1. I'm assuming that she's indoors?
2. I'm also assuming that she's the only cat?
3. No evidence that she's been itchy around her face or neck or ears?
Ears are clean, in other words?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes she's an indoor cat, only one, only slight itching nothing too much and ears are clean.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Bernice:
Thanks so much for the answers to my questions.

1. It may not seem logical to you but cats with food allergies can become itchy around their heads/neck and faces and no where else on their bodies. Usually there's going to be evidence of scratching with more than one scab or sores in these areas, though.
So if she only has the one, then this may not be the problem but I mention it in case you start to see more or if her itch level increases.
Usually changing the food to a more hypoallergenic diet does the trick.....

such as grain-free, or Z/D (available from your vet) or Natural BaXXXXX XXXXXmited Ingredients, Nature's Variety Instincts line, Evo Duck or Venison, Nature's Variety Frozen Raw Medallions (I recommend that they be zapped in the microwave for 10-15 seconds on each side).

It might take a few weeks to see improvement in those cats who are really itchy.

2. Given her age, I suspect that she's quite a curious girl. She may have gotten her body or head stuck somewhere such that she created a small wound on herself.

3. Since her ears are clean, then this problem isn't likely to be related. But cats with ear mites or itchy ears can create lesions when they're trying to scratch at their ears.

At this point, it's probably not necessary to treat the area since a scab indicates that it's healing. But you could clean it with over the counter dilute Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea) twice a day.

I wouldn't apply any over the counter antibacterial ointments or creams since she might ingest it when she grooms and cats can be very sensitive to many of these products.

I hope this helps and that this is just a one time event. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Bernice:
Thanks for the rating and bonus; it's greatly appreciated. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.