Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My cat is about 14 years old. She is partially feral and does

Customer Question

My cat is about 14 years old. She is partially feral and does not like too much contact. She has been coming indoors recently and has started using the litter tray. Today she was on the tray for at least 7 minutes and when I went to clean up, there was blood in her poo which was not solid.
I am a bit worried about her, but with her being very skittish around people and only just letting me touch her I will find it very hard to get her to a vet to get checked out, unless I really have to.
Can you tell me if I should be worrying?
Thanks Clare
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Clare and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

As long as Chewey is still eating well, I would not be too concerned about this diarrhea with blood. I say this because a mild digestive disturbance caused by stress or something she may have ingested will cause irritation to the very senstive rectal mucosa which causes small blood vessels to break and bleed. This will resolve once teh stool is back to normal.

For now, Clare, as long as Chewy is still eating, treatment is as follows:

Fast Chewy for 24 hrs which she may be doing herself to allow his tract to calm down and heal..

Give Chewy Pepcid AC at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs.

Give only small amounts of water or ice cubes.

After the fast, feed a small meal of rice and boiled chicken.

If she is feeling better, then wean her back to her regular meal. If she is still haveing btrouble , especially because of her advanced age, I would have your vet or the ER vet examine Chewy just to be sure we have not missed something important.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Fab, thank you for your help. I will follow your instructions and keep an eye on her.

Regard Clare

Good for you, Clare....in most cases, this really helps. Like I said, though, I worry because of Chewy's age so if she does not respond, have your vet examine her.

Thank you so much, Clare for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Chewy's condition.

Have a great day!!