Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years experience in Small Animal veterinary practice
23462335

Seems to be having trouble eating, dribbling a lot.

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry Tiddles is struggling to eat.

If he is attempting to eat but is unable to then this is known as dysphasia and can often result from mouth problems such as damaged teeth, sore gums or lesions on the tongue. Often this is accompanied by excessive salivation or an inability to keep saliva in the mouth.

It is vital that your vet examines his mouth to looks for lesions or tooth problems as it is likely that the problem will persist until these settle, this may require dental work or medications to alleviate pain whilst any lesion heal.

If Tiddles is not interested in food then he may be nauseous and this can be caused by many different problems form abdominal pain to organ disease and again a veterinary examination will elucidate this.

It is vital he is able to drink as if not he will quickly become dehydrated which will complicate matters.

You can try liquidised food or chicken broth as this maybe easier to lap up and may be quite appealing.

I am sorry I cannot diagnose the problem, but hopefully I have pointed you in the right direction and a vet exam will allow a more prompt diagnosis and hopefully rapid relief from the discomfort being seen allowing him to eat normally quickly.

Good luck and I hope he is OK.

Best wishes

Dan Makin