Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

Hello, we live in Corfu, Greece and our 6 month old female

Hello, we live in Corfu, Greece and our 6 month old female cat had her lady op 11 days ago. 4 days ago she started vomiting bright yellow sick. She does not have dhiaorria . Her temp yesterday was 42dg today it is very low. She is not eating or drinklng. Our vet ( very limited facilities) has injected her with anti sickness, anti cramp and a hydrating soloution. She tried to do intraveanous fluid but could not find a vein. We are injecting her with 1 x daily anti-biotic and 8 hourly of both the anti-sickness and stomach injection. She continues to be very unwell and is just crying all the time. What else can we do? Thank you Angie Jones
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. I'm very, very sorry to hear about Bubble's situation. Is it possible for your vet to do some blood work on her to evaluate her kidney values? How long since her last vomit? Is there an option to go to another veterinary clinic to get more treatment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Bruce, Sadly things are very limited here in Greece, our vet does not even have xray equipment. A blood test would take at least a week. It has been around 3 hours since her last vomit. I could travel to Corfu town with her, but I am reluctant to cause her any more suffering and there is no guarantee that their services would be any better.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Let's try to work with what you have as best as can be done. Rather than a fruitless trip to Corfu and they not have any better options, an idea to try is to call the clinic(s) there to see what they have as far as facilities available. Ideally it would be great to do the blood work to see what that shows. You could ask what their onsite testing equipment has. The other huge thing that would be ideal is if they can hospitalize her to do IV fluids. Being able to place a catheter in a vein is something that certain vets are better at doing than others. If they can help out, then great. If they don't have any better options, then it isn't going to be worth the trip. With her continuing to vomit, I couldn't tell if you were continuing to do the fluids under the skin. IN her situation, getting this done twice a day will help to keep her a little better hydrated. But, the key here is to figuring out what isn't going well. Could all this be tied into the spay surgery she had? Could something have accidentally been tied off that shouldn't? Could she have an infection her abdomen? If push comes to shove and she's not getting any better, could the original vet take her back to surgery and open her up to see what that shows. This isn't an ideal situation as her anesthetic / surgical risk is high, but if she's not improving, this may be all that they have to offer.

In this situation, the available facilities are what is the limiting factor. I wish I could offer a great insight / treatment that was available. The blood work and the IV fluids are the best. Can you ask the vet to try again on the IV fluids?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I have been wondering about the spay op, in fairness our Vet has carried out 15 such ops on both males and females all without bother. Sadly, cats are routinely dumped here in Greece and we always end up caring for them, It was never my plan to have quite so many cats! I wondered if maybe she has ingested some poison? The greeks have a great habit of leaving poison around, would her symptoms match that thought?

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
A toxicity / poisoning isn't out of the question. It could look like this. Usually though with toxicities they don't have a fever to begin with. That is good that the Vet there has done all those other procedures and not had any issue with them. I don't want to try to give blame to them. But, in my practice of veterinary medicine, I've seen very good vets who've practiced for a very long time have a random routine procedure not go so routine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok Dr Bruce, I have just administered her 2 x injections and I am going to wait and see if she continues to not vomit. Interestingly, her sister had the op the same day and we have not seen her since the day before Bubble fell ill. All our other cats seem to be fine. May I message you again tomorrow when I will have a clearer idea of how she is progressing?

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
You absolutely can continue to message me tomorrow! I would really like to know Angela how this girl is doing. I'm hoping for the best for her too!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
No problem and I'll be looking for your response!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good morning Dr. Bruce, just to let you know that sadly Bubble died at 5am this morning. So armed with torches and spades we buried her by a lemon tree on our land.Thank you for your time. Angie Jones

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
I'm so sorry to hear of Bubble passing today Angela. I was very worried based on how she was doing. She was lucky to have you as well as you being lucky to have her for this short time she was on this planet. I wish more people had the heart you have towards animals. Thank you for being there for her.