Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

What might cause an itregular heartbeat in a 7 year old ca

What might cause an itregular heartbeat in a 7 year old cat?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
I'm sorry to hear that Orhan has an irregular heartbeat.
The most common cause of an irregular heart rhythm that is faster then normal (tachycardia) in a male, middle aged cat is a primary disease of the heart muscle called cardiomyopathy. As the muscle becomes more diseased the electrical pathways in the heart are affected and an irregular rhythm results. And as the heart is diseased and inefficient in its work, oxygen levels in the body fall causing the heart to pump in an irregular rhythm as well.

An electrocardiogram is a test to measure electrical activity in the heart and would help identify exactly what the irregular rhythm is. The best test for cardiomyopathy though is an ultrasound of the heart called an echocardiogram. This test will allow the cardiologist to see blood flow in the heart, measure wall thickness, and measure how efficient the heart is working.

Other reasons for an irregular heart rhythm are secondary to hyperthyroidism, changes in blood electrolyte or mineral levels (most commonly calcium or potassium) or infections. If he hasn't had any blood tests to look for hyperthyroid disease, or changes in blood electrolyte or mineral levels those should be checked.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.