Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have given my cat cheese as a treat now he seems unwell what

Customer Question

I have given my cat cheese as a treat now he seems unwell what can I do
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can you tell me what Barney is doing that makes you suspect he is unwell?

What kind of cheese did you give him?

Is he lethargic, withdrawn, hiding, or sleeping in unusual places?
Or is he not keen to eat?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?
Does his belly seem sore if you palpate it?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hi again Susan,

I haven't heard back from you and see that you are now offline. Therefore, I do want to leave my thoughts about Barney's situation for your return.

As I am sure you are aware, cheese is not typically something that we consider toxic or dangerous to cats. Still we can see this rich food cause GI upset and can even lead to pancreatitis in some particularly sensitive cats (usually when they have had more then this small amount). As well, since cats don't handle dairy products as well as people, we can see vomiting and diarrhea in severe cases.

In this situation, since you have not noted vomiting or diarrhea, I would advise just resting his stomach for the next few hours. He can have access to water but I would just let him settle. If he seems particularly unsettled, you can also give him an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are Pepcid (LINK) or Zantac (LINK) These are usually given 20 minutes before food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if Barney has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications.

Afterwards you can introduce a small volume (a tablespoon worth to start) of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). Now if he can keep the small amount down then he can have a bit more after 30 minutes. This can repeated until he has had enough but do make sure to keep the breaks in place to decrease the chance of straining the stomach if he does have a bit of upset.

Overall, if Barney is feeling unwell after having some cheese, then it is likely he has a bit of stomach upset from this rich food. Therefore, do rest his stomach and try an antacid to see if you can settle this for him. Once his stomach has been rested, you can offer a light diet for the next few days before weaning him back to his own diet. And if he does show any progressive signs (ie vomiting, diarrhea, belly pain) then that would be our cue to follow up with his vet to make sure nothing else is brewing (and the cheese was innocent).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )