Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

how long will an older cat live with an enlarged thyroid

Customer Question

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am glad to hear that you have had Tommy tested and that he is now under treatment. This will give him the best chance of avoiding the associated issues that can be triggered by an unregulated thyroid and cause addition troubles for our wee ones (ie heart disease, blood pressure issues, blindness, etc).

In regards XXXXX XXXXX length of time a cat can live with hyperthyroidism, this is going to vary a wee bit. This is because it depends how early in the disease process this has been diagnosed and treatment started. (As well, whether he has other non-related health issues like kidney disease)

But if Tommy's signs are recent in onset and he hasn't suffered any of those significant organ strain secondary to the hyperthyroidism, then he can live a normal length of time because this treatment will balance that thyroid imbalance. For an 18 year old cat (it is worth noting that he is already 6 years over the average life expectancy of cats), this may be another few years.

Overall, we do see a range of survival lengths for cats with hyperthyroidism. But if you have him stable on treatment and has no other health issues, then he should live to the length of time he would if he were not hyperthyroid. So, it is a case of stabilizing him and enjoying his remaining years.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )