Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My cat is 5yrs old, this past month hes been losing his fur.

Customer Question

My cat is 5yrs old, this past month he's been losing his fur. I wormed and flead him but were id put the flea treatment he lost his fur. I thought it may be due to the antibiotic cleaner id been using that was causing it so stopped using it, but today I found some blood in his faeces, I don't know how long that has been going on as he always goes outside to toilet. Apart from that he seems perfectly health and is eating well and seems quite happy.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Sylvia, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question about Mojo hasn't been answered. I'm sorry that you've had to wait for a response but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

I assume your primary concern is the blood that you're seeing in his feces.

I know this can be alarming but it doesn't have to necessarily be concerning.
If the stools are loose, then parasites or dietary ingestion or even eating grass can cause it. If the stools are loose, let me know and I can address this particular problem in more depth.

If the stools are formed , though, I wouldn't consider this to be abnormal although it may sound odd to say so. Some cats will develop occasional blood in their stools and it's of no serious consequence. This may be secondary to hard feces scraping against the rectal wall or irritation to the intestines for some reason.

But, regardless, the blood is not likely to be secondary to either the ointment you put on his skin nor the topical flea treatment if you were concerned about either.

Some cats will react adversely to topical products that we apply to their bodies so I wouldn't continue to apply the product which caused his hair loss...not that you would, of course. There are many choices these days and I'd find another product with a different ingredient label.

I hope this helps. Again, my apologies for the delayed response. Deb