Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Not sure of the age of cat think hes been abandoned he normally

Customer Question

Not sure of the age of cat think hes been abandoned he normally sleeps in our house but we didnt see him yesterday today a neigbhour brought him in as he was breathing heavy and is trying to drink water not interested in food is very subdued.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Maggie, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question hasn't been answered. I'm sorry for the delayed response to you but if you still require assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

I do have a few questions to ask about him first, if you don't mind:

1. Can you tell me the color of his gums?
2. Can you count the number of breaths he's taking in one minute?
3. Do you have a thermometer so you can take his temperature?
4. Is he painful when you press on his belly in between his legs?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we have taken him to vet they are doing tests they think he may of been hit by a car he survived the night and is starting to eat although breathing still laboured.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Maggie:
Thanks for letting me know about the stray you've adopted; the fact that he's made it so far is a good sign.

Trauma such as being hit by a car could certainly cause respiratory issues although there are other possibilities, too. I'm assuming that chest x-rays have or will be done to rule out problems in his chest such as issues with his heart or fluid buildup.

I'd appreciate your keeping me posted about him, if you have the chance. Regards, Deb