Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My cat is ill. She is a 4 year old (normally healthy) mainecoon.

Customer Question

My cat is ill. She is a 4 year old (normally healthy) mainecoon. Last Sunday daytime and overnight my cat had bad diarrhoea, was vomiting, would not eat or drink and was very lethargic. She stopped eating and drinking on Sunday night and we took her to the vet on Monday morning. The vet did blood tests, gave her a thorough examination and took her temperature - everything was normal. An appointment was made for Tuesday (yesterday). On Tuesday the vet put her on a dextrose drip for about 8 hours and did more blood tests - all normal. we brought her home for the night. She perked up quite a bit and ate a little and drank a little. Today however, she is back to square one, will not eat or drink. Sometimes she will look up if you call her but really she just wants to be left alone. She has taken herself off to a quiet room where she does not usually spend time. She is sleeping most of the time, very lethargic. She is tempted by the food and every now and again she will have a good smell but she just cannot eat. Please can you help?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that Breanna is not feeling well. Since teh lab work was all normal, there is a good chance that she has developed a digestive disturbance caused by something odd she may have ingested. For this, follow these instructions:

Fast Breanna for 24 hrs which he is doing herself to allow her tract to calm down and heal..

Give Pepcid AC at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. available at the chemist.

Give only small amounts of water or ice cubes.

After the fast, feed a small meal of rice and boiled chicken.

If the vomiting has resolved, then wean her back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take Breanna back to your vet for another exam and lab work and xrays to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intesinal obstruction or infectious process..

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta