Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi my 9 year old cat has lost some wait but has a swollen tummy

Customer Question

Hi my 9 year old cat has lost some wait but has a swollen tummy and his poo is very hard , I have wormed him about 2weeks ago any ideas
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Mini Me. The words "swollen tummy" alarm me. This suggests an abdominal effusion - a collection of fluid in the abdomen. Effusions can consist of clear or cloudy fluid, pus, blood, or lymph. The more common effusions are those from the wet form of the FIP virus and inflammation associated with malignancies within the abdomen. Right sided heart failure, hepatic and renal insufficencies round out the common etiologies etiologies, When a liver can't produce enough albumin to keep fluid within their vessels. fluid will accumulate in "third spaces" such as the abdomen. Similarly, if albumin is lost through damaged kidneys (or the GI tract), fluid will form in the abdomen.

Unfortunately, there's nothing good about finding an effusion because it always indicates advanced disease. Mini Me's vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam on Mini Me and if fluid is detected in her abdomen, then aspirate a small amount of that fluid and have it analyzed by our pathologist. Knowing the specific gravity of the fluid, its protein content, and the type of cells found within it is the first step in determining the etiology.

The poos are hard because Mini Me is dehydrated. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Please feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.