Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my cat is a British Short Hair age 13 years.I have noticed

Customer Question

my cat is a British Short Hair age 13 years.I have noticed the last couple of days the pupils of her eyes have been wide open, could you tell me if this is ok.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dr. Kara and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about Mischief having fully dilated pupils in both eyes.
I highly recommend that Mischief see her veterinarian as soon as possible.

Fully dilated pupils mean that her eyes are not responding normally to light and that is something that needs to be addressed.
That can be secondary to problems with her retinas (the back part of the eye that collects light and sends information to the brain), the nerves that connect the eyes to the brain, or in the brain itself.
In older cats primary heart disease, hyperthyroidism or kidney disease can cause hypertension which can lead to bleeding into the eye, and secondary blindness, or detached retinas. If the primary disease process can be controlled and her blood pressure falls her eyesight may be saved. But the longer this goes on the less chance she has of regaining her eyesight.

There are other possible causes, but these are most likely at her age.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.