Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My cat lived in an upstairs flat for 10 years before I had

Customer Question

My cat lived in an upstairs flat for 10 years before I had her. Gradually I got her to give up a litter tray and use the garden successfully. After some months she has started to "go" indoors on carpets, cushions, etc. It could be the cold weather that she dislikes. I am disabled and do not want to have to empty litter trays again. Can you help, please?

Diana
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Diana and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry for your situation...I know this is very frustrating. This behavior may be due to the weather but it also may be stress.

From what you have told me, it appears that Grace is suffering from some type of stress that has caused this inappropriate elimination. This could be due to a territorial issue or some other stress. The first thing to do is to have your vet examine Grace to be sure there is not a medical reason for this behavior. If this is ruled out, the next thing you need to do is to purchase from any pet store a product called Feliway. This is a feline pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will discourage this bad behavior. Follow the directions on the bottle.

Make sure to clean these areas with an odor eliminator such as Nature’s Miracle.

Use aluminum foil or double sided tape in the problem areas which may discourage using these spots.

If this is not sufficient, your vet has medication that can help with this problem and, if used along with the Feliway, hopefully, will be successful. These medications are antianxiety drugs such as Fluoxetine or Clomipramine. Here is a website that has more tips:

www.petplace.com/cats/inappropriate-elimination/page1.aspx

Click CLOSE WINDOWS to get into this site.

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/cat-behavior-problem-medications

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta