Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

I have a 2yr old cat diagnosed with a skin infection on his

Customer Question

I have a 2yr old cat diagnosed with a skin infection on his head and wears a cone round his neck to stop him from scratching his face to pieces. Hes been on steriods and antibiotics for 6 months now yet every time i take off the cone recently to give him a break from wearing it he scratches himself till he bleeds. I really dont know what else to do as i dont want to see him suffer and scratch himself till he bleeds plus i have to keep him instead due to wearing the cone all the time and he is desparate to go outside with my other two cats.
Emma.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

So sorry to hear about Merlin! What came back on the biopsy? What kind of steroids have been tried (injection or oral)? Have the steroids helped at all? What food are you feeding your cats? Have you tried any other foods? Has your vet recommended any dips for mites?

JACUSTOMER-olt3qxpi- :

The biopsy just showed a bacterial infection. He been on oral steriods called Medrone V and oral antibiotics called Veraflox (baytril). The food he has is james wellbeloved. The vets have tested for mites.

Dr. Scarlett :

Thanks, sorry I had to step away for a couple minutes to extract a tooth!

Dr. Scarlett :

So in a young, really itchy cat, even with the negative skin scrape, I would be concerned about Demodex mites or a food allergy.

Dr. Scarlett :

Demodex mites can be REALLY hard to find in cats, so just because I don't find them on even multiple skin scrapes, it is worthwhile to treat for them and see if they problem clears up. Here is a website with more info: http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1415 I actually have 2 cats that excessively scratch--started with one and now both are scratching. I did multiple scrapes and didn't find anything, but the owner is starting the Lym Dips weekly to see if there is any improvement.

Dr. Scarlett :

A food allergy is another possibility. Steroids don't always help with food allergies. I would switch Merlin (and all the cats) to a completely different, novel protein diet. Your vet probably carries a prescription diet, but basically you want a food with very limited ingredients and ones to which Merlin has never been exposed. I'm not sure what the main ingredients of the Wellbeloved food are, but I would look for something like a venison & green pea, rabbit & pea, etc. Look for a food with a short list of ingredients. Then transition the cats to the new food over a week. This new food should be the ONLY food they are fed--no treats, no flavored medications, no table food.

JACUSTOMER-olt3qxpi- :

Thanx for ur help. I will go back to my local vet and ask them to do the tests for the demodex mites.

Dr. Scarlett :

And even if they don't find mites, I'd ask about trying the Lym dips anyway!

JACUSTOMER-olt3qxpi- :

Ok i will, I will also speak to my vet again about the food aswell incase there is an allergy to some foods.

Dr. Scarlett :

Let me know how it goes! Hope Merlin can be e-collar free in 2014!