Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is sneezing violently, has runny eyes and is very lethargic.

Customer Question

My cat is sneezing violently, has runny eyes and is very lethargic. He is eating small amounts though. It started 2 days ago, I took him to the vet yesterday an they gave him antibiotics. He is still bad this morning. How long does it take for the antibiotics to take effect? Should I be worried?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Tsar. To answer your question directly, the antibiotics might not take effect at all because rather than a bacterial infection being present, the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is the most likely infectious agent to be found in a cat such as Tsar and viruses don't respond to antibiotics. Concomitant chlamydial or mycoplasmal infections might respond, however, if doxycycline or potentiated amoxicillin were the antibiotics on board at this time.

Most cats will remiss unaided from FHV-1 within 10-14 days. As long as my patient remain appetant, I'm likely to treat only by administering supplemental fluids subcutaneously by needle in order to maintain hydration and perhaps stimulate appetite by feeding a very rich and palatable food such as the convalescent Hill's a/d which is also syringeable if need be.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.