Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Hello I am very worried about my 7 year old female british

Customer Question

Hello I am very worried about my 7 year old female british blue cat. She has been unwell 4 days now. First day very hardly noticeable but slightly more lethargic than normal. Two more days just the same, maybe a little disinterested in life. Still eating drinking normal litter tray use. Maybe a little less appetitie than normal but nothing too obvious. She would brighten a little then go back down again. I took her to the vets this morning as soon as I could as it was worrying me that she wasnt back to her usual self. She had started to appear uncomfortable in herself. Sitting more in a ball rather than stretching out, sitting down a little cautiously and licking her rear end a lot. She has all her vaccinations every year and she doesnt go outside very much especially this time of year. The vet expressed some yellowish liquid from her anal glands and said she may have some discomfort coming from there. her temperature was 40.6 and although she gets extremely stressed going to the vets the vet said this was indeed a fever. She prescribed antibiotics and metacam and said her anal glands may be infected. She could find nothing else wrong having done a thorough examination of her. She came home and seemed a bit brighter, ate some food went for a pee. She is sleeping on and off but still doesnt seem terribly happy. I know its early days yet but have been looking online and am worried about the nasties such as leukaemia and FIP. Are cat fevers common, should I go back to the vet and ask for blood tests in the morning? I have to go back on thursday for review but I dont know if I want to leave it that long. I am really worried about my gorgeous girls, please help!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Jessica, I'm Dr. Deb. I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Dolly; I can see that you're quite worried about her.

To specifically answer your question, yes, fevers are fairly common in cats.

They can certainly be secondary to bacterial infections or viruses such as Leukemia, Feline AIDS and FIP. Toxoplasmosis is a protozoal disease which can also cause cats to run fevers.
Auto immune diseases cause them as well .
Unless there are other symptoms such as weight loss, pale gums, abdominal fluid, respiratory issues, neurologic signs, etc, then I wouldn't immediately jump to the conclusion that she has something serious.

There's a condition in cats that is called Fever of Unknown Origin- which is exactly what it sounds like. Cats are running a fever but we can't find an explanation for the elevated temperature. Treatment is primarily supportive which consists of fluids and drugs to reduce the fever although every vet has their own protocol as to how they treat these cats. Most cats recover fairly quickly.

I might give the drugs a chance to work before I'd take her back for a recheck but given your concern for her, if she's not significantly improved by tomorrow, you might want to pursue testing then.

When I see these cases, if the fever doesn't resolve within a day or two or if it recurs, then I recommend additional testing at that time.

I hope this helps and eases your mind about this somewhat. Deb