Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hi, My 11 year old male tabby cat has been diagnosed with

Customer Question

My 11 year old male tabby cat has been diagnosed with suspected liver cancer. He has had bloods taken and a further ultrasound. The ultrasound was conducted by two different vets and both agreed there were multiple masses on the liver. We have been asked if we want to do a biopsy to confirm, but with the realisation that it will just be a confirmation and no treatment pathway will follow. The other option is to manage the condition palliatively. Do you agree with these vets opinions?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome, My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Sorry to hear about Brian's condition ...

Scott Nimmo :

you know if it is confirmed that there are multiple masses on the liver then it is almost certain that you are dealing with a cancer of some kind, liver cancer is very common in cats and it is often secondary to a primary cancer elsewhere, the fact there are multiple masses is not good either.

Scott Nimmo :

There are two ways to look at this, the first would be to biopsy the masses with a view to treatment such as chemotherapy, this would be unlikely to be curative but it may buy some degree of remission.

Scott Nimmo :

The second approach would be to accept that this is almost certainly liver cancer and all you will do is to try and make Brian as comfortable as possible until the disease progresses until he has a poor quality of life ...

Scott Nimmo :

You know if Brian was my cat I do wonder if I would not not take the second option knowing what I know about this sort of situation ...